Thursday, September 07, 2006

Shotgun!

Last week, I went to lunch with a few co-workers.  As this was on one of the days that I actually venture into the office, we all headed toward the cars together.  Getting in the elevator, one ambitious girl casually called, “Shotgun.”  I was, of course, extremely put off by this act.  I looked at her, shook my head in disappointment, and said, “You can’t call that yet.”  She thought that was a bunch of crap, but I went on to explain that you definitely can’t call Shotgun while you’re in the elevator.  You have to be outside.  In fact, I would argue that you have to be in sight of the car to make the call.  Some people just think it’s being outside that matters, but I think reasonable people agree that calling Shotgun while in the elevator is a no-no.  Don’t you agree?

Maybe you don’t.  I’ve been party to a Shotgun discrepancy or two over the years, and I have always stuck to my guns (if you’ll pardon the pun) on the rules.  To make a blatant, gender-based generalization, it’s usually girls who try to call Shotgun indoors.  Sometimes, they even try to argue about the rules.  While I have clearly been in the right about this, the tricky part is that one could argue that Shotgun is played under different rules depending on the community, much like college basketball usually tries to enforce the game’s fundamental rules and concepts while the NBA generally spits on them.  And it’s always been hard to argue against that concept.

But no more!  The Internet has finally made itself useful and posted The Official Shotgun Rules.  Read them.  Know them.  Live them.  I feel vindicated in my struggles against those who would insidiously call Shotgun while still indoors. I also thank this site for clearing up the outside vs. line of sight requirement for a call, and I hope everyone who rides in a car with me will familiarize themselves with the rules beforehand.

Happy road tripping!  Don’t be a gaper.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great! My favorite is the "balk". That happens all the time in our family!! In my opinion, it is not always the fault of the door opener(me). It can also be a situation in which the door opener(me)is "entrapped" into balking by the faulty, late, or even maliciously incompetent operation of the remote door opener by the driver. Failure on the part of this same driver to replace the remote opener's dying batteries for years on end, while denying all the while that anything is wrong with them, is another contributing factor to "forced balking." But I digress. My real point is that I am going to start using this excellent term even when calling shotgun is not an issue. And I will get plenty of opportunity. Thank you.