Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A Newer Perspective

The Chronicles started out way back when as a follow-up to an email about me shaving off my goatee. Since then, I've talked about all sorts of random things, and linked to stories I found amusing and generally bumbled my way about. Sometimes I struggle to come up with something to write about.

Now I have a new piece of news that undoubtedly belongs in the Chronicles of Abs. Not long ago, I talked about how I had played a bunch of different roles in weddings, and I had just added Officiant to the list. Well, it looks like I'm going to able to add the role of Groom at some point because the Girl officially agreed this past weekend to add the Wife to her list of sobriquets.

You read it right; I am engaged! Last Friday, as the Girl and I watched the first exhibition game of the IU basketball season (streaming online because it wasn't on actual TV) in our living room, as the band played the William Tell Overture and the cheerleaders streamed all over the court with flags (this sequence is one of the Girl's favorite things in the entire world), I brought out her favorite dessert from the restaurant where we went on our first date, and I asked her to marry me. As you might expect, trumpets heralded, the clouds parted, we were bathed in a shimmering light, the band was muted behind a Hallelujah chorus, laurels and wreaths and nosegays floated through the air. Perhaps all of those things distracted her, because she said yes!

We are excited! And thrilled!! And I am clearly overdosing on exclamation marks! I just had to share that with you, because you are my one and only, most favoritest Internets. Have a marvelous day.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats ABS, glad to hear it.

Anonymous said...

WE ARE SO EXCITED! LAWTON AND KELLEY TOLD US LAST NIGHT AND WE WERE THRILLED. YES, I AM YELLING WITH EXCITEMENT WITH THESE CAPITAL LETTERS!! Also really looking forward to meeting The Girl, about whom we have heard great things for months and months. Congratulations, and please be sure to blog about all your plans!

Love and yes, hugs, from your faithful reader and other mother.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, new hot young girlfriend, new jobs, new house, and now a future wife! I would say you owe Pretty Boy and Lawton a beer or two for convincing you to change your "Just Abs" campaign!

Abs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Abs said...

Thanks to Joe and my other mother for the congrats.

As for the other anonymous commenter, I say pshaw. I think I've given the Pretty Boy and Lawton more than enough beers over the years. Besides, the fact that there was such a groundswell of support for Just Abs '08 goes to show that it should have never been abandoned.

Anonymous said...

mawwige. mawwige is what bwings us togedder today. mawwige, that bwessed awwangement.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mrs. Z said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Great News! Sorry I didn't read about it sooner. Knew you would eventually find the one, and an IU girl to boot! How about some pics in your next blog?