Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Time Off For Golf: All Good Things Must End

And so it came to pass that my little stint of time off between jobs had to come to an end. It was a beautiful run, though. Sure, I got a little sick during my time off, but there's nothing to be done about that. Since I last posted here, when I claimed to have the secret to breaking 90, I played 3 rounds, shooting a 98, a 102, and a 97. Sigh. However, I did play all three rounds at somewhat more difficult courses, and none of them were rounds played with one college buddy. So I may still have the secret.

I did set a goal, though. I claimed that I wanted to make a birdie. And make a birdie I did, the very next time I played. In fact, for good measure, I made another one in my last round of retirement golf. That was good, good stuff. That last round started out sort of well, in that I managed to par the first hole I played. That's only sort of good, because a par on the first hole inexplicably almost always leads to a bad round for me. I tried to put that out of my head, though, and I broke completely new ground when I birdied the second hole. I had definitely never been one under through two holes before. I was at even par through three holes when I bogeyed the third. There was pretty much only one way to go from there for me, though, and I limped through the first nine with a 44. I was pretty happy with it, though. That's pretty good for me on a tough course. However, with the sickness I was fighting off, I just didn't have the energy to play while walking the course, and I pretty much stumbled my way through the back nine with a 53, and there's nothing good to say about that.

But hey, I managed to play 11 rounds during my mini, retirement. I broke 100 all but 2 times, and I broke 90 3 times, when my goal was only to break 90 once. My second goal was to get a birdie, and I managed to get two of them. So I'd say there's something to be said for this goal-making thing. That said, in case anyone is paying attention, my goal during the next couple of months is to become fortuitously, inexplicably, and absurdly rich, at which point I'll go back to playing a lot of golf.

So I've come back out of retirement, and today was a day of orientations and meetings. But it was nice, since it was seeing lots of old friends at my new/old company. I'm not going to be too hasty about things, though. So to ease my way back into things, my second day on the job will be at the company golf tournament.

Now that retirement golf is over, I'll probably go back to writing about the normal random garbage that the 2.3 of you reading this originally got used to. Until then, may your drives be long and straight, and may your putts roll true.

No comments: