Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Safety First

I know I haven't posted here in a very long time, and I have no real excuse. I had intended to write a detailed follow up to talk more about my experience at the Masters, but I never got around to it. It seems a bit late to do so now. However, I know I need to get back on the horse here, and I reckon, if Jen can do it after about 4 years of not posting, I can, too.

In the car on Saturday morning, I had a bit of a blast from the past in hearing "The Safety Dance" by Men Without Hats. I've always felt a strong sense of affection for that song. Maybe it's because of the video, in which the singer is wandering around a countryside that is remindful of feudal England, singing this song with the word "dance" in the title and hinting strongly, if perhaps not quite proving, that he is completely incapable of dancing. On top of that, the song itself doesn't seem particularly danceable. (Yes, I said "danceable." It's early, and I don't want to hear any shit about it.) In general, I'd say the song is deliciously atrocious, like so many 80's songs. Also, the video prominently features a midget. What's not to like?

But I didn't start this post just to laud a delightfully crappy song. Instead, I wanted to draw your attention to its lyrics. I had to look them up because of one particular phrase: "We can dance, we can dance / Everybody look at your hands / We can dance, we can dance / Everybody's taking the chance." Can someone please tell me why we need to look at our hands and what the fuck that has to do with dancing? Also, what chance is everybody taking here? Does this song come from some strange parallel universe where it's extremely dangerous for a person to let his gaze come to rest on his hands?

These are the questions that fill my brain after hearing that song. Have a good Tuesday.

No comments: