Monday, July 24, 2006

Manly Advice

I just sat here watching The 40 Year Old Virgin, and it was cracking me up. Predictably, I think Cal's character is hilarious because he's a friggin' caveman. More than anything, though, that movie showed me the dangers of guys giving other guys advice on how to deal with women. Throughout, three dudes are trying to help Andy score, but their advice is all over the map. Sitting in my place by myself, I was guffawing (Yes, I said "guffawing." Deal with it.) at a sequence where Cal tells Andy that scoring (great, now I hear Beavis in my head: "Yeah! heh heh ... Score! We're gonna SCORE!") is analogous to growing plants, specifically pot. After Andy impresses Beth, the bookstore employee/nymphette, by only asking her questions and not actually saying anything, the following exchange takes place:
Cal: That was great! I would have thought you'd been doin' that for years.
Andy: It totally worked! Do you think I should've asked her out?
Cal: No! You wait until the seed grows into a plant. Then you fuck the plant.
Classic. But I'm keeping Cal away from Mom's garden. I can't imagine that's good for the plants.

No comments: